The City of Douglasville, through Planning effort, offers advice on policy decisions, reviews and coordinates information for proposed physical development in the City of Douglasville, and provides professional, technical, Historic Preservation Commission, as well as to the Mayor, City Council, and city staff.
Services provided through the Planning Division includes:
The Planning Department is responsible for long-range planning for the City of Douglasville.
Long-range planning is intended to promote livability, mobility, residential and development alternatives to create a live, work and play environment for Douglasville.
The City of Douglasville recognizes the business community’s need to promote their individual products and services. In order to promote safe, attractive and functional roadway vistas, the City adopted a uniform set of regulations related to signage.
Signs are regulated in Article 4, Section 3 of the Douglasville Unified Development Code, commonly referred to as the Douglasville Sign Ordinance.
Depending on their location, business owners are limited to specific types of signage. In general, signage can be broken down into three basic types:
- Permanent signs
- Temporary signs
- Prohibited signs
Sign Permit Applications
A Special Outdoor Event Permit is required for events conducted in the open air or within a tent or other temporary structure and is produced for a limited time, and could be considered:
- A festival, carnival or exhibition where:
- Unpackaged food is served, sold or transferred to members of the public, or
- Motorized amusement devices, a tent or an outdoor stage is used; or
- Any temporary commercial event conducted on residential property, other than a yard sale; or
- Any temporary event conducted on residential property where more than 200 guests or attendees are expected on any one day; or
- Any outdoor sales or commercial activity by a peddler or transient merchant on non- residential property, other than a licensed flea market.
Provided, however, that "special outdoor event" excludes the following:
- Any event conducted on property owned by any government entity if authorized by the property owner; and
- Any event conducted on the grounds of any developed lot whose principle use is one of public assembly, such as a church, school, library, park or membership organization.
For any special event request, please submit your outdoor event permit request to the Zoning Deparmtent at City Hall. Please allow up to two (2) weeks for application processing and approval.
Current planning involves the implementation of the City of Douglasville's Unified Development Ordinance that is used to review site plans for new developments and sign permits. Zoning provides expertise in the areas of current planning, land use decision making, and strategic decision making to elected officials, appointed boards, city management, and citizens to ensure the future quality of life in the City of Douglasville. Specific zoning regulations are in place to establish minimum parcel sizes, setbacks, and signage control. Many development application requests such as special land use permits, rezonings, and variances require approval by the Mayor and City Council. The City’s Unified Development Ordinance is available either online or at the Planning Department.
- 2020 Meetings - Douglasville Planning Commission
- City of Douglasville Zoning Map
- Douglasville Unified Development Code
The Community and Development Service Department’s Planning Division accepts applications related to zoning requests. If you are interested in seeking a rezoning, Special Land Use Permit, or a variance from the zoning code the process and application are listed in our informational Zoning Packet.